Pages

Saturday, May 14, 2011

Bugs, Bowels, Banging my head, Bringing back t-shirts...

Published by Carly at 10:33 AM


Well another couple weeks of teaching in the bank, but not without a few interesting events: bugs, bowels, banging my head against a wall and bringing back t-shirts.

Bugs: Every night since I have arrived at site before I hit the sac I turn my front and back porch lights on.  One morning, about two weeks ago, I woke up to plague of locusts/grasshoppers/ senene…whatever you want to call them who are apparently attracted to the light. I had about 15 minutes before I was supposed to be at school and more than 50 of these things in my house. So, what did I do? I guess I did what any normal person would do-- took a broom and started swatting. After killing most of the locusts, I left for school only to find about ten students on my front porch picking more locusts off of my front door. Unannounced to me the locusts are a delicacy amongst the students and village kids. About two hours later during our chai break, I warmly welcomed five students into my house, gave them plastics bags and let them exterminate my house. It was a win win situation; the locusts left my house and the students added some much needed protein in their diets.  For about a week after this blessed event I would sweep out the occasional stragglers and the village children would literally fight over them, but I don’t think the village kids appreciated my first come, first serve policy.

Bowels: There are many different types of diseases and illnesses that PCVs encounter during their service. I swear half of these go undiagnosed and are probably some mutant form of flu, common cold or botulism. This past week, for the second time while in country, I was struck with what I call the dinosaur flu. Symptoms: stomach cramps that make you want to roar like a dino, profuse sweating (not just because it is the southern hemisphere), nausea, diarrhea and a fever (not malaria because it only lasts a few hours). Needless to say when the dino flu strikes I just want to be teleported from where ever I am to my bed with a can of diet coke or ginger ale and a roll of TP. Unfortunately, this time when the dino flu struck I was about an hour away and once I reached my site was dragged into a Ministry of Education meeting. Thankfully it passed within 24 hours…as usual. The last time this struck I was not visited by a solid bowel movement for a month.

Banging my head against a wall: I know better than to bring up the topic of religion/faith with my counterparts here, but sometimes it cannot be helped. Recently a man has emerged in northern Tanzania in a village called Loliondo. He claims to have made a tea that can cure everything from ulcers and diabetes to HIV/AIDS. People are apparently showing up in droves to pay about $.33 for a cup of tea. Sadly people are also dying in waiting in line because they are terminal. Now don’t get me wrong I am all for things that make people feel better, but there is no way in hell I believe this stuff cures anything except for an upset stomach. I am saddened by the fact that HCNs (host country nationals) who are HIV positive have elected to stop taking their ARVs because they believe they are cured. Just the other day a study was released showing that ARVs, if started early enough, could help prevent the transmission of HIV. My counterparts believe the cure it is more of a matter of faith than it is of science; if you believe you are better after drinking the tea then you are actually cured. Their argument was based solely on faith and god. Not wanting to really stir the pot, but unable to help myself I asked what would happen if an HIV positive person drank the tea, felt better, but then still tested positive for HIV? My counterparts are well aware about my stance on religion and god and respect it, just as I respect their beliefs. I think since coming to Tanzania and having to defend my beliefs in what is a very religious country, I am more aware of where I stand on the spectrum of spirituality and I now have a clearer, firmer of my own beliefs. Note: Loliondo does not claim to cure acne or obesity.

Bringing back t-shirts:

The other day I stumbled upon a new initiative to raise money for non-profits in East Africa called Project Repat. Basically what happens is Americans donate old shirts to Goodwills and Salvation Armys across the country and eventually those shirts make it to different parts of the developing world. A lot of the shirts end up in clothing markets, especially in East Africa. Before hearing about the project, PCVs including myself would frequent used clothing markets and have a good laugh at all of the ridiculous/ vintage shirts for sale. We would also laugh at the shirts we saw HCNs wearing. I assume that the women I saw who had on a shirt saying “I swear it is this big” (with two hands held up underneath) had no idea what her shirt really meant, but it made my day. Okay, getting back to the point…the idea of the project is for people who are traveling to visit these used clothing markets, get a cultural experience and buy some shirts that will then be resold in the states. The profit from the resale of the shirts will then go to fund non-profit organizations. I am excited that my time spent lurking around the market will now be put to good use and I plan on bringing some shirts back with me when I come home to visit in next month!!  Also…here is the site for anyone who is interested http://www.projectrepat.org. 
*Mom I would equate looking at t-shirts in the market to reading greeting cards in the humor section at CVS.

Currently down to two weeks left of school, one of teaching and one of invigilating exams and about 40 days until I come home to visit. Pretty excited for some real food, hot water, iced coffee and a washing machine!!

Thanks again, Vasthi, for the box of America (as I have called it). Yes, too much chocolate will give you a stomachache and I forgot how much I love the smell of Tide laundry detergent!

Good luck this weekend Kyle and the Cornell Lightweights, Jordo and the Holy Cross Frosh and Brown Women’s Crew!!! Go BRUNO! Wish I could be home to see you all race. Here’s hoping for flat water and a tail wind!


All my love from TZ!

0 comments:

Post a Comment