Pages

Sunday, February 12, 2012

Technologic

Published by Carly at 10:06 AM


Do you realize if it weren't for Edison we'd be watching TV by candlelight? -Al Boliska

This morning I decided that the laundry basket in my bedroom needed to be emptied as it was starting to over flow onto the floor. The last couple months I have been slow to do laundry because of the on going water issues in my village. I am not sure how many of you realize this, but it takes me about 40L of water to do a whole load of laundry. This may not seem like much, but it can take me upwards of an hour just to get the water, then I have to hand wash all the clothes. Let's just say I would give up many precious things for a washing machine at this point in my service.

Alright, so on to the real point of this post. I arrived at the local water spout at 8:30 this morning. As usual there were about five or six dirt encrusted children sitting around waiting their turn to use the spout and a few adults as well. Two teenage girls were sitting around the spout dressed in the traditional mix of goodwill donated clothing and kitenge. They were talking about something and then one pulled out a cell phone and started taking pictures of her friend or sister. I thought this was pretty interesting. I was not intrigued by the cell phone, they are everywhere here, but by how familiar the act of whipping out a cell phone and snapping a picture is to teenagers the world over. Just goes to show how alike we all are.

The cell phone also reminded me that many people in America have this notion that many countries in Africa are still stuck in the “stone age”. While I have found this to be somewhat true, in the sense of the“if it isn't broken don't fix it” mentality of many Africans; I have also found it to be remarkably untrue. I will admit that there are times when I find technology here laughable because it seems so out of place. For instance, when a mama, layered in vitenge, shoeless, is out on her plot of land using a hoe that looks like it could have been used more than 100 years ago and she answers her cell phone. However, I really cannot laugh at the fact that I am surfing the internet right now thanks to my usb modem or “dongle” as it more affectionately known by PCVs. I also cannot laugh at the fact that I own a blender and a hot plate, two things that I really love having here. Many people here also have computers, granted most of those people do not live in my village. In fact, the other day I was on the coaster home from the post office and the woman sitting in front of me had her netbook out and was watching movies. Given this is the first Tanzanian I have seen open a computer on a bus and I was wondering if I would ever see it, but it just goes to show that technology is becoming more available here. I do wonder, however, if the availability of electricity, or rather lack there of, will eventually hinder the progress of technology in some African countries like Tanzania. Many people here do not have reliable electricity let alone any electricity. Which begs the question why would you spend money on a TV or a computer if you do not have reliable electricity? You wouldn't. This is probably why many people here who could potentially afford to own such items do not have them. I think that if the power supply in Tanzania becomes more reliable we will begin to see an increase in the number of computers, especially in schools. I think the price of such technology would eventually drop if there was greater access to electricity due to supply and demand. It will be interesting to as availability of power increases if there is an increased use of computers and other modern technology. I guess time will tell.

Well I guess that is enough rambling for the moment. Today is Sunday, which means I have yet another week of school ahead. Sometimes it seems like time never moves here and then again, looking back, it has moved surprisingly fast. At least this week I do not have to do a lab three times over with 50 kids each time... that will test your patience.

Hope things are going well at home! Just a reminder that Monday begins Random Act of Kindness week! Try to do a RAK every day next week. It can be as small as holding the door for someone, saying “Good Morning” with a smile or giving some a compliment!

All my love from TZ

3 comments:

PegTraub said...

The time seems to be moving very slowly from my end. I miss you and can't wait until you're home. In the meantime, I'll try to pay it forward this week with a random act of kindness or two. Maybe I'll even be nice to Dad!

Love you always,
MOM

Emilio Fernandez said...

Dear Carly,

Thank you very much for the nice letter that you have sent to me. I have received it today, and if you wish, you can see their picture on my blog:

www.cartasenmibuzon.blogspot.com

I send you a strong hug from Spain, and of course, my sincere wishes of health and happiness to you and all your dear beings.

Yours faithfully
Emilio Fernandez

Anonymous said...

Electrifying !!! Mom tried to be nice Bhutto it only lasted a couple of minutes. Does that count?

-Dad

Post a Comment