Pages

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Thanksgiving, man. Not a good day to be my pants. - Kevin James

Published by Carly at 4:28 PM


Not too much to report since my last blog. School is officially closing on Friday, but our exams ended today. After grading 288 exams and proctoring three exams for a total of 10 hours I am done with schoolwork and ready for Thanksgiving!!! Thanksgiving will, of course, be spent this year in country again. However, not to worry the volunteers in my region have collaborated and put together a stellar menu for Saturday (we are delaying because tomorrow is not a holiday here!). I am on pumpkin pie duty, Kat is making mac and cheese, Rebecca is on mashed potatoes, I think someone is getting chicken or turkey? (currently going the veggie route due to the last bout of salmonella), Jess is on cake for TJ’s and Anna’s birthdays. I think I will probably chip in with a veggie dish and possibly another dessert. Going to make the pie from scratch, even the filling. I will let you all know how it turns out.

In the spirit of Thanksgiving I wanted to give my top 10 list of things I am thankful for, in no particular order (save #1),

1. a. Life!
     b. My family and friends!!!  (Miss you all sooo much, it is not even funny)

2. Being a PCV.  I know I complain about the bad times, but really I am thankful for every experience – bad or good.

3. Care packages… seriously anyone who has sent me a package in the last year; you have no idea how much they mean to me. I am not quite sure where I would be without Velveeta, candy and magazines.

4. Electricity—enough said.

5. Apples and Diet Coke (luxuries here)

6. The waterspout outside my house

7. The fact that I have (knock on wood) not contracted malaria—yet.

8. My students, even if some are as sharp as marbles.

9. Support from everyone at home! I do not think you all know how much I value your well wishes and encouragement. It has not been an easy road, but knowing people are keeping tabs on me back at home is comforting.

10. The fact that I am doing what I love to do and that I feel like I am making a difference, even if it is small.

Everything else is going well. Next Wednesday I will be heading to Dar to take the LSAT, then I am headed to Pemba to visit a fellow PCV for some sun and some R and R. After that I am probably going to be returning home to decorate for Christmas and to start prepping applications for law school. I hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving. Eat lots of food, watch lots of football and take a long nap on the couch. Like last year, if you plan on going to Walmart on Black Friday, my advice to you is to wear a suit made of chain metal and a helmet, so you are not trampled to death!

Here are some T-giving quotes to leave you with…

“The thing I'm most thankful for right now is elastic waistbands.”- unknown, but brilliant

“As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them. “ -John Fitzgerald Kennedy

“Thanksgiving dinners take eighteen hours to prepare.  They are consumed in twelve minutes.  Half-times take twelve minutes.  This is not coincidence.”
  ~Erma Bombeck

“A lot of Thanksgiving days have been ruined by not carving the turkey in the kitchen.” - Kin Hubbard 



All my love from TZ

0 comments:

Post a Comment