Pages

Sunday, July 31, 2011

Waterfalls, Love notes and Too many socks

Published by Carly at 4:26 PM

It has been a pretty quiet month in Mchangane. Besides teaching, studying and reading all of the books in the Hunger Games series (which I think were really good, but it could be that I was just really bored) I have not been up to too much. Two weeks ago I acquired a nice cold, which is still lingering and which I will add the list of things I have gotten in Africa.

Friday, after teaching, I met up with a few volunteers and friends in the area and we all went to Kaporogwe Falls. The falls are actually relatively close to my site, but the road to get there is unpaved and thus it takes about an hour to get there. Although it took a good chunk of time out of the day it was well worth the trip. Behind the falls is , what I believe to be, half natural, half man made outcropping cave-ish ledge that you can walk along. The mist from the falls was actually pretty refreshing along with view of the valley in the background. Honestly right now I am lacking the creativity to paint you a wonderful verbal picture, so I will add a picture I took!

After the trip to the falls I decided to decline an invitation to Nacho Night and took a late coaster back to site. On the way home, as sometimes happens, I became the entertainment for the other passengers on the coaster. The entertainment started when the conductor told me he “liked” me (Umependeza) and asked if I was married. I figured I would have some fun and told them my “husband” was back in the states, but would be coming to Tanzania soon. [If some of you think this is strange… many volunteers make up fake fiancĂ©es or spouses to avoid awkward situations, in fact Peace Corps taught us, in so many words, make up “white lies” to avoid situations] The conversation slowly changed to be between my seat neighbor and myself on the topic of where I was from and what I was doing here. I think I may have turned some heads when he asked me, “Mungu yupo?” [Is God present?] to which I responded Hiyupo [absent]. Turns out that the man was a pastor, but respected the fact that I do not go to church and do not really practice a religion. He may be the first Tanzanian who has not tried to convert me or laughed in my face. Hallelujah!

Yesterday was cleaning day. I swept out all of the rat poop in my house and washed all my laundry because my large woven basket was overflowing with clothes. Normally I am on top of my laundry, but when you have to let it sit overnight in a bucket (which requires some forethought) or scrub by hand, then rise and dry outside; one tends to avoid doing laundry like the plague. [I would like to admit here that Febreeze will save you a couple of washes on things like blankets, couch covers and jackets—ala college] After what would probably equate to two loads of laundry in the states and 12 pairs of dirty socks I pledged to separate my laundry when I get back to the states, use dryer sheets and clean out the lint filter in exchange for never having to wash clothes by hand again.

Classroom entertainment this week: I intercepted my first love note. I was giving a quiz in my Form 1A math class when I saw one of my male students attempting to pass a folded up piece of paper in his hand to a girl next to him.  I asked him to give it to me and I unfolded it and found a beautifully drawn red rose. I started to laugh out loud because that was the last thing I expected to find. Then, I thought back to high school and how I would have felt if one of my teachers caught me with such a note. I decided not to embarrass him, folded the note back up and gave it back to him after class.  I also thought that this could potentially dissolve any trust the student or other students has in me. Thinking back on it, I probably made the right decision, but I am still interested in what a Tanzo love not is actually comprised of…. I guess I may never know.

Well I hope all is well at home, that the temperatures have cooled down a bit and that everyone is enjoying their summer! Hard to believe it is almost August! Happy Early Birthday, Dad!!!

All my love from TZ

Pathway/  ledge behind the falls

Behind the falls

Valley


0 comments:

Post a Comment