Pages

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Number 1 controls the water?/ Goats in the dining hall

Published by Carly at 9:43 PM

This is your life. Four words I find myself saying at the most random times during my days here. When I am writing up physics definitions on the board, carrying water back to my house, speaking in full Swahili sentences to the Bibi (older woman) on my run through her shamba. I have written much about daily happenings here in Tanzania, but have yet to express how I feel, so I figured now would be a great time. First, let me say that eight months ago if someone had told me I would be living here I probably would have laughed and said it is one of those things in theory I would love to do, but in actuality would probably never act on.*  The day I had to decided whether of not to accept my invitation I also had a skype interview with a school in San Diego. No less than five minutes after the interview I sent my acceptance email to the Peace Corps. I was in retrospect on of the easiest decisions in my life, but the hardest to come to terms with. It was hard because I had to admit to myself I was a little crazy (aren’t we all?) and scared. Who really wants to give up things like seeing their friends and family, Dunkin’ Donuts coffee, Target, fall in New England, Holidays at home, cheese, their ability to drive a car, running water, a hot shower and many other possessions? I recently read and article by and entertainment journalist who quit his high paying job at the age of forty something to join the Peace Corps (slightly crazy?). I cannot recall his reasons for joining, but I would not be surprised if they change daily, as mine do. I can say this though as with anything it is a journey and the end point is not the important thing. Just like the stuffing of the Oreo, it is the “stuff”, daily life and daily events that make it worthwhile. I just like to think my Oreo is double stuffed now a days! (Any my inner fat kid emotionally satisfied)     

* Much like my college application experience. Not many people know this, but at first I did not want to go to Brown. I was scared of the unknown. So, the second time in my life the intriguing yet unknown stared me in the face I decided I had to confront it.

All right, on to my week. It was interesting to say the least. First things first, I turned 24 this past week. Honestly, I do not feel any older, in fact because there is no snow here or change in temperature I feel like I am permanently stuck in September 2010. To celebrate I made myself dinner, steak, salad, rice and a chocolate cake with mocha frosting. (Yes, anything is possible here if you just believe!).  I also went out with Kat and TJ this past weekend for burgers and a few drinks to celebrate. Saturday, I went to pick up Argo, my puppy! She is really cute and tiny… smaller than a soccer ball. The first few days with her have been a little rough to say the least, but we are getting used to one another. The second night Argo escaped from her crate and greeted me in the morning sitting on the couch wagging her tail (oh yeah she also had fleas… and was sitting on my couch) and a nice pile of excrement on the floor. I blame my bad hammering, as I had to attach the mesh sides to her crate with only a headlamp because the electricity was out.

Monday morning rolled around and I was really home sick. The homesickness usually hits on Monday mornings because let’s face it who really likes Mondays in the States, let alone in Tanzania. The saving grace of the morning came around 7:45am. Near the main office of our school, a dining hall for the boarding students is under construction, but is still missing part of one wall. There are also no doors for the doorframes, so the local goats roam through and use it as their hangout. For some reason the Mkuu decided this morning he did not want the goats in the dinning hall, so he summoned all of the Form 3 male students. The students then encircled the building and like a covert op started to sneak up on the goats. All at once, cement dust, the screams of goats, yelling of students and my laughter transpired. The students started to grab the goats; some dragging them by the legs, some carrying them off as if they were going to roast them and some walking them like wheelbarrows (my personal favorite). Next, other students emerged from the storeroom carrying twine and started to tie up all of the goats in three bunches of five. I honestly never thought any animal, let alone goats, could make such an awful noise or be so entertaining. So, the goats sat on the main lawn of the school, crying or screaming, I cannot be sure which, falling over each other and making me forget I was homesick.

 I thought things had settled out until I got a message from another PCV I got Argo
from that said the rest of the puppies at his house had worms. So, I went to Tukuyu to meet him and buy worm and flea medicine. Upon returning home I was informed that there was no water in the village because the neighboring village, Number 1, that controls the water had shut it off for some reason. Having about 20L of water and no water in reserve I decided to walk down to the river with Argo and a few buckets to get some water. When I got the river it was brown from the silt, so I trekked back home, waterless. At this point I felt it would be worth it to give Argo her flea bath with water I got from a large puddle in my yard. As I was bathing her, she drank some of the water and started to hiccup/ dry heave and foam at the mouth. At this point I called my Dad, thinking I had killed my dog of three days. Feeling completely awful, after a few hours, I put her to sleep in her crate with some water, rice and a prayer that she would make it through the night.

Haha and you thought I was done…. While I was eating dinner I noticed that the skin around my eyes and nose were stinging. The stinging intensified and I figured I had gotten some of the flea medicine too close to my eyes. Well the intense stinging continued throughout the night. At one point, around 1 am, I got up to splash milk on my face and take a Benadryl (figured if it didn’t help the stinging it would knock me out, thankfully it did one of them). Needless to say this was quite clearly the worst day at site thus far. Thankfully, the water came back on today (for a few hours) and it poured for about an hour, so I have enough water to last me a day or two. Honestly, hoping to make it through the rest of this week without any more majors.

To tie up a couple of loose ends…. Judy and Ed thank you so much for the Christmas card! The mail is a little wonky here and I just got it yesterday!!! Also Grandpa, thanks for the card and thinking of me on my birthday.

Pretty random, but I thought I would add it to the blog incase anyone eats rice every night and wants to change up their dinner as well… banana (not cooked) and rice go really well together…seriously do it!

To not break with tradition, I hope everyone stateside is doing well and if you live in New England putting that snow blower you bought last winter at the Home Depot to good use, or in the case of my aunt shoveling it for your self! You go girl! All my love from TZ. 

4 comments:

Vashti C. said...

Oh no! Your poor puppy and eyes. I assume she lived through the night?

I hope the wonky mail system starts working well, because there is another fabulous package for you on its way -- with less half-naked 'drunk' women in magazines. I estimate that it will get there either next week, or early the following week. Get excited! Also, please don't wash your face with anymore flea medicine. Miss you!

PegTraub said...

Love the stories, Carly. I hope you've been taking lots of pictures!

LOVE YOU!!
Mom

Judy Rosso said...

FYI--those are turkeys on our heads!!!What can I say.
Love, love, love reading your blog. Maybe you
should think about writing a book about your
adventures as your unknown and intriguing third
decision in your adult life!! Eddie sends his
love....as do I. Judy

Traubd said...

Finally caught up on some excellent reading!

Got to goat!!

Dad

Post a Comment